Locate War Buddies
(Private Database)


Where to Use Your 
Veteran ID Card, VA ID Card, Veterans Driver's License Card, and Veteran Organization Card

Veteran ID Card

Veterans Discount Directory
Listing of Veteran-Friendly Merchants

Veterans FAQs

I retired civil service with 25 yrs. service, 4yrs. in the Marine Corps and 21yrs. with USDA-NRCS. I retired on the old program and not FERS. I do draw a retirement pension but my problem is drawing disability. In 2018 I turned 62 yrs. and started drawing $135 per mo. for Social Security but under SSDI I do not qualify due to not enough quarters worked.  The VA rates 10% service connected disability for tinnitus, and in the same letter rates me over 100% non-service connected disabled due to Implantable Defibrillator 100%.   Sleep Apnea w/CPAP 50%,  and hypertension 10%.  Because of my condition and the amount of my retirement leaves me below poverty the government offered me a 'Vietnam Era Pension' that started out as $528.00 per mo. and this included the 10% service connected tinnitus. But then the government said they over paid me and now that pension is $390 per. mo.  My only employer was the Federal Government except for a couple part time jobs that add up to maybe a year or two. Both the VA and SSDI pay around $3,000 per mo. for a 100% disabled person. The VA rated me 10% active duty and 100% total disabled yet I only collect $390 per mo. I have 21 years working for the federal government that disability does not cover. Something in this picture is not right. I feel like I'm swimming with lead boots on.  What should I do to correct this mistake?

Answer Question



A1:  I need some more info before offering assistance - what do you draw from OPM? Seems odd you quad. for "Vietnam Era Pension" as that is needs based and if you did 21 yrs w/USDA + 4 in USMC your OPM pension would not meet needs basis. Did you make a deposit for your time in USMC? You state you are getting SS - probably should have postponed that until 66 - how many quarters do you have with SSI. Windfall Benefits Provision & Public Pension Offset comes in play too with CSRS.  I too did 4 years in USMC, worked VA for 8 years, did total of 42 years with Uncle. I only get $165 from SS but I did work & got 40 quarters. Most of my time was in HR so I understand VA and OPM retirement pretty well. Sorry about your NSC disabilities - but can't understand if you qualify for SS then why not SSDI?  (SM)  4/20/19

A2:  To get VA you need to show that your medical issues were a result of or agrivated by the military. If they were you need to file a claim or a notice of disagreement showing how they are related. There is no correlation between usda employment and VA.  (TB)  4/20/19

Have A Question About VA Benefits?  Submit Here.


[ 1 - 48 ][ 49 - 94 ] [ 95...