Locate War Buddies
(Private Database)


Where to Use Your 
Veteran ID Card, VA ID Card, Veterans Driver's License Card, and Veteran Organization Card


Veterans Discount Directory
Listing of Veteran-Friendly Merchants

Veterans FAQs

I was in the Army for 6 years. During (in the 70's) basic training I injured my leg. I was in excruciating pain but the doctors sent me back to training. I couldn't take the pain so I went back to dr. They finally sent me to get an x-ray. It turned out that the femur bone had completely broken and was sticking out.  I was in a cast for almost 8 months. I then continued for 5yrs.  After I left, my leg was never the same. I am 50 yrs old and have debilitating pain especially during cold weather.  I have gone to the VA, but it’s a merry go round. Sometimes I just don't want to get up in the morning, its all I think about is my pain.  What can I do?  If those Army dr would have not sent me back to training, I would not have further injured my leg.

Answer Question



A1:  Do you have a copy of your Army medical records, if not you should order them. Next do you have records from an outside doctor showing problems with the leg. Also do you have copies of all your VA medical records, once you have these go to the Disabled Americans Veterans Service Officers and file a VA claim for service connection for the injury.  (DR)  7/28/19

A2:  Do you have any documentation associated with the injury? If so, go see your local DAV Chapter Service Officer and ask for help in filing a claim. The VA wants as much evidence as possible to prove you were hurt in service.  (JL)  7/28/19

A3:  Get a VA service rep. The county where you live can direct you to one. You are certainly eligible for benefits.   Your service officer will help you apply and tell you how to get your military records. The VA website has improved tremendously now and once you sign up you can obtain records off website. It's a long process but you should certainly go forward with it. You need your DD21 too.   Were you in combat.  Good luck and don't give up. It took us 6 years. You should not take that long bc your medical records will show your injury. Good luck!!  (JM)  7/28/19

A4:  I agree with the last comment, connect with a service officer who can help you apply for disability. The Vietnam Veterans of America, VFW, DAV, American Legion, and you state department of veterans services all have service officers. Some are accredited with the VA and others are associated with a post or chapter.  To get your records google get my military records and you will get a link to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  (EU)  7/28/19

Have A Question About VA Benefits?  Submit Here.