Locate War Buddies
(Private Database)

CLICK HERE

Where to Use Your 
Veteran ID Card, VA ID Card, Veterans Driver's License Card, and Veteran Organization Card

Veteran ID Card

Veterans Discount Directory
Listing of Veteran-Friendly Merchants
math

Veterans FAQs


Recently I was awarded the disability of sleep apnea. But instead of increasing my rating (currently at 80%) they combined it with my existing 60% for asthma. How is that right?  They did the same thing with my "mood disorder."  Rated me at 30% but did not increase my percentage just combined it with my rating for knee pain. Please advise.

Answer Question

 



Answers

A1:  Go to:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2004-title38-vol1/xml/CFR-2004-title38-vol1-sec4-25.xml  (MC)  3/5/19

A2:  This is simple way it's more complex than this!

100%
-80
20%
X60%
12%
92%
8% left
60%
4.8%
12
-5
7%
30%
2%

They start with highest number subtract from 100%.  What's left they take times remainder that's added to total!   I am 240% to get 100%
Govermant math is different than any other I know of!  (RD)  3/5/19

A3:  My overly simplified understanding using my own case as an example:

I have 2 disability ratings; one for 70% and one for 10%. Common sense would make you think this constitutes an 80% disability. But NO.
VA Starts with awarding the greatest Disability, 70% and then factors lesser disabilities as percentages of the remainder of the possible 100% So: 70% = 70 of a potential 100. 10% second disability = 10% of the remaining 30. 10% of 30 = 3. 70+3 =73. 73 rounder to the nearest ten = 70. If my second disability had been 20% my overall disability would have been 80%. 70 + 6 (20% of the remaining 30) = 76 rounded to the nearest 10 = 80%.  (AR)  3/5/19

A4:  If you can get on ebenefits there is a scale to show how they figure it, it is kind of fuzzy math but its laid out pretty clear how they do it.  (PB)  3/5/19


Have A Question About VA Benefits?  Submit Here.